Pleasure riding - trail riding - shows

Choosing the right breed of horse can make a difference in how pleasurable your ride is. Horses have personalities just like humans and some breeds are more gentle, while others are more high strung. It's important to research and choose a horse to suit your riding style.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The pleasures and sometimes dangers of trail riding

If you get up just as the sun begins to rise on a hot summer day you will find that it is quiet and peaceful. This is the perfect time for a long trail ride. Trail riding is a personal favorite of mine. I worked for many years taking people out on trial rides, but nothing is better then saddling up your horse and just going on a trial ride for the sheer pleasure of it all by yourself. If your lucky enough to have trails on your property then not only is it safe and peaceful, but knowing the terrain can make the experience very relaxing.

Trail riders
 I like to make a big lunch and stay out all day. Most properties have some water source so your horse can have a drink and there should be lots of edibles for him to munch on during the trip.
Once when I was younger I took a midnight trail ride. I got cocky and left our property and headed across a bunch of fields to a area that was full of public trials like a conservation area. Although it was a midnight ride the sky was clear when I started out and I could see just fine by the moonlight. I had been riding Scout, my pinto for about two hours when the clouds began rolling in. It got very dark very fast. The sky was inky and I could no longer see the trail. In about fifteen minutes I was completely lost and didn't know what direction I was headed. I was ready to panic but then I remembered reading somewhere that a horse can always find it's way home just like a dog or cat.
I put my faith into Scout and let go of the reigns. I think he thought I was crazy letting him have complete control, but it worked. After walking ahead for a few feet, he shook his head and turned around. I guess he was tired and wanted to go home too.

About an hour later we were safely back home with him in his stall and me in my bed. I owe Scout many thanks, he has saved me from dangers on many occasions. I learned early on to trust my horse. Horses have better senses then humans and if there is a place they don't want to go it's usually for a good reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment