Pleasure riding - trail riding - shows

Choosing the right breed of horse can make a difference in how pleasurable your ride is. Horses have personalities just like humans and some breeds are more gentle, while others are more high strung. It's important to research and choose a horse to suit your riding style.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The first time I rode my horse

When I was younger my parents bought me my first horse. His name was Scout. He was a beautiful pure bred Pinto. The owner said that he would make the ultimate pleasure riding horse. Scout came complete with a Western saddle, saddle pad and basic bridle with a Snaffle Eggbutt Bit. A few brushes and of course his own horse halter and short lead.
Scout was delivered via a horse trailer to our farm.
The first thing I did was lead him around his new home and put him in his stall. Of course I couldn't leave him there long because I was excited about riding him.
After a short time in his stall to recuperate from the trailer ride, I saddled him up and climbed up into the saddle. I gave him a squeeze with my legs and excepted him to begin moving. The horse didn't budge an inch. I squeezed harder, still no movement what so ever. I slapped my legs against his sides. The horse simply refused to move.
This wasn't supposed happen. This was the ultimate pleasure horse. The horse I always dreamed of having. The horse that was going to give me hours and hours of pure riding pleasure on the many trails on our property.
There was something wrong with this horse. I asked my parents who shook their heads and could offer no advice, other then to say that maybe the horse didn't like me.
Well that was fine I thought I would stay on the horses back until he did like me. After a full hour of sitting and waiting the horse out, there was still no movement. Talk about a stubborn horse!!!
I jumped down off Scout and picked up a long blade of grass. Got back up in the saddle and showed him the piece of long grass. I threatened to slap him with it if he didn't get walking.
Stunned shocked and amazed my horse took the threat seriously and began walking with me proudly grinning with happiness.
Scout and I had many disagreements over the years, but within a few short months he became that ultimate pleasuring riding horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment