Pleasure riding - trail riding - shows

Choosing the right breed of horse can make a difference in how pleasurable your ride is. Horses have personalities just like humans and some breeds are more gentle, while others are more high strung. It's important to research and choose a horse to suit your riding style.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

My first horse show

My first horse show was a very interesting ordeal. I had been taking riding lessons for about six months when my instructor deemed me fit to enter a Western riding show. The only problem I has was that we didn't own a trailer to transport me and the horse. The show was about 16 miles away from where I lived. That meant riding my horse 32 miles in one day not taking into account the mile or two during the show.
My horse was in great shape so I decided to go for it.
I got up at 5:30 in the morning and after feeding and grooming Scout (Scout was my horses name) for the show, I saddled him up and we headed down the road.
The part of the show I was participating in started at 12 noon so we didn't have much time to waste. A horse can travel about 4 miles in an hour by walking and trotting. We left at 7 am so by 11am I expected to be at the show.
The walk there was uneventful and Scout was used of traveling on the roads. I got off and walked along side him for about half the journey. As we passed fields or steams I allowed him all the water he wanted and a small amount of grass to eat. (Horses shouldn't have big meals while working, it can cause bloating that can be a serious life threatening disorder.) By the time we got there we wee both  tired and ready for a break. I hitched to the posts available for the horses and gave him a fresh bucket of water and a little hay. I left him to rest while I checked out the competition.

Wow there were a lot of riders and some really nicely groomed horses. My horse had just walked 16 miles and wasn't looking that great. I raced back to where he was resting and got out the grooming tools I had put away on my pack. I french braided his tail and brushed is mane until it shined. I briskly rubbed him down with a dry towel and then brushed his entire body. Scout was a great looking horse by the time I was done.

My time was up and I heard the first Western showmanship entry being called. I walked him to the ring and got him to stand in the required positions while a judge looked on. I was nervous but convinced that we could at least come in third or fourth place.

The judge made his announcements. We took second and I had a pretty blue ribbon to prove it. I was shocked and so happy. I proudly walked him from the ring while the crowd clapped and cheered for the winners.

The next part of the show started immediately afterward. My instructor was there and she was amazed to see me holding the second place ribbon.
I mounted Scout and went into the ring. We were judged on riding technique, how well we handled our horses and we had to follow certain patterns and challenges. I was feeling tired and my instructor noticed I wasn't sitting straight and wasn't looking very confident. She called to me and said I better smarten up and get riding like I had been taught.
Well I did straighten up and I did ride like I had been taught plus a little extra. Scout and I took first place.

I think that day was the longest but one of the happiest times with my horse Scout. I couldn't have done well without by best buddy. We walked home that day another 16 miles, but with 2 red ribbons and one blue.

It was late when we got back and we were both glad to be home. Scout was finally happily munching hay and some well deserved oats in his stall. I went inside for a meal as I had forgot to pack a lunch. I later hung my first of many show trophies on my wall and had a nice long sleep. I dreamed of other days and other horse shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment