Pleasure riding - trail riding - shows

Choosing the right breed of horse can make a difference in how pleasurable your ride is. Horses have personalities just like humans and some breeds are more gentle, while others are more high strung. It's important to research and choose a horse to suit your riding style.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How I got my horse to jump the first time

There's something wrong with this horse! I said to my instructor, he won't jump.
Well I have learned a lot since then. Getting a horse to jump is a really easy thing. Horses in the wild do not think twice about jumping across ditches, broken fences, holes in the ground, fallen trees and anything else that might be in their way. So why will a horse on it's own jump, but won't jump with a rider on it's back?
The answer is all about control. The rider must give up control to the horse. The rider must have enough confidence in the horses ability to make the jump.

How I got my horse to jump the first time
 I had just purchased my first Hunter. She was a fine looking horse, but the owner was selling her because she couldn't get the horse to jump a basic 3 foot high rail. I handed over the money for the horse and asked if I could ride for a few minutes before I took her home. The owner agreed and supplied the riding equipment.
I took her into the paddock where there were a bunch of small 3 and 4 foot rails set up.



I got the horse to trot around a little and then asked her to canter. After about five minutes I was feeling very comfortable on her back and she was responding well to my riding cues.
With her in a full canter I had her head straight for a three foot rail. As we approached I loosed the reigns and let her have all the control. All I had to do is rise up in the stirrups as she cleared the rail.
The owner couldn't believe the horse she just sold jumped so smoothly.
I continued around the paddock and asked the horse to again make another jump. She did so without any effort at all. I went on to the four foot jumps and she cleared them all without a care in the world.

If you want to try jumping your horse for the first time, take a pleasure ride and if you see a fallen log or branch get your horse to trot straight for it. As you approach ease up on the reigns and let your horse have the lead. She will most likely glide right over it. The trick is to be confident. An anxious rider makes an anxious horse. If not your not ready for jumping, the horse will sense it and you will most likely fall off when the horse bolts to the side instead of making the jump.

If your just learning, put a post on the ground in the paddock and simply let your horse walk over it. Then try your horse at a trot. Next a canter. When your completely comfortable with cantering over the rail, raise it up by one foot. Repeat the exercise. Walk, trot and then canter. This will give you and your horse enough confidence to move on to bigger and better jumps.
Jumping is one of the most exciting and rewarding things you will ever do on your horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment